Behind Closed Doors Review (Spoiler Free)


Title: Behind Closed Doors
Author: B. A. Paris
Goodreads rating: 3.96 stars
My rating: 4.4 stars
Genre: Psychological thriller, contemprary, NA

Published on: 11 Feburary, 2016
Publisher: Harelequin Mira
Source: Brought from Readings

Goodreads Synopsis:

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace.

He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do. Though, you’d like to get to know Grace better.


But it’s difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart.


Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn’t work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows.
Sometimes, the perfect marriage is the perfect lie.






My thoughts on this book:
'As he closes it behind me, I can't help thinking it,s a shame he's such a sadistic bastard because he has wonderful manners.'

Addictive, chilling, gut wrenching and, anddddd!

I know, I know that this opening sentence of the review will give you chills in your spine but fear not I won't stop raving that how awesome that book is.The storyline of each character was mind blowing. I will admit that almost first fifty pages will feel like dragging of the story but eventually it kick starts like a horse in the field. Well actually, there is no horse story but there is a dog in it. Sweet little mushy dog, Molly. I will say brace your heart before reading it.
Now, let's talk about the characters, story, gore, gruesome schemes, grotesque factors, perfectly crafted lies and surely not missing sadism. The story is narrated by first person aka Grace experience in past and present in alternate chapters. I simply love this idea and alteration of chapters. Whenever any chapter will close it will leave you hanging so you have to sit tight and refrain from skipping pages to have full wonderful experience. Starting is bit slow but eventually the story will pace up in a smooth motion which you will surely enjoy it.
What will you do if you marry a psychopath? Murder him/her and get away with it. 
Wow! I am so good at solutions. *note the sarcasm*
The character of Millie is so sweet and mushy. Although she is suffering from Down's Syndrome, she has an important part in the story at it proceed. Read it to know what intentions Jack has for her.   
Now here is a word 'psychopath' you've been waiting for.The psychopath in the story is goals. (Please note that I ain't promoting sadism or violence, it's just the one of the side effects for feeling story too deep) Anyhow, the plot is quite basic but the pulling of the events, evil schemes, gore, perfect lies and maintaining them is quite mesmerizing even though it have a lots of gruesome stuff happening. Which keeps the reader guessing whats coming next!
Grace is an intelligent woman but under the given circumstances she is a dumbhead too. her character is so relatable and mundane. On the other hand, the charter of Jack is full of complexities and twists.
I want to appreciate B. A. Paris she choose a wonderful topic to write which is almost consider a taboo and nobody will try to look into if the facade is so perfect yet the foundations are rustic and based upon the cobwebs of lies.It’s terrifying because it’s a story that could happen to anyone. Even the most vigilant of human beings can be duped by a genuine smile and gentlemanly gestures.Honestly this is a fantastic psychological thriller, complete with a monster so sadistic. I had no idea what was going to happen next. Every time I put the book down I tried to figure out how this horrible monster would possibly be defeated. Going over and over different scenarios in my head. I couldn't help but raving about it with my friends and couldn't stop thinking by putting myself in situations like Grace's. I am sure I won't be ever able to see anybody same as they present. 
*And the people are dark and full of lies.*
repeating mantra in Meliasandre voice. The addition of graphic content is a bit overly done but it's chilling to the bones.
It would've been a 5 stars read for me if only I didn't guess the ending myself. Boy! I live for plot twists!
                                   'Fear is the best deterrent to all'
Just like fear in Grace's life after marrying Jack this book keep your heart thumping and mind in prisoner until the very last page. Even though, I predicted the ending in halfway,
the events were described in such a smooth details with no loophole which keep me on the edge of the seat all the time.

In the nutshell, it's one of my favorite, I read in 2016. i was excited to picked it up and it maintained my excitement till the end. Money well spent boy, well spent!

Recommending material: Are you kidding? What are you staring at? You need it asap! Gather your butt, save money, earn money. Whatever you do, JUST GET IT! 10000% recommended!!!

Have you read it? If yes, lets talk about it. Do you have any similar recommendation?



Comments

  1. SO GLAD U READ IT OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGOMG
    I'M GOING TO MSG U AND WE IS GOING TO DISCUSS HOW GOOD THIS BOOK IS...

    .
    omgomgomgomgogmogmg
    and this book really makes me look at people and wonder if this is what's happeneing to them because appearances really are deceptive :|

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alhamdulilah For Everything

DIY Easy Wand Tutorial